Statement of Support
Oregon Business Alliance for Climate
The Oregon Business Alliance for Climate (The Alliance) is a statewide organization focused on mobilizing industry support and business leadership toward advancing climate policy and instituting a price on carbon emissions while strengthening Oregon’s economy.
The Alliance supports State legislation that:
- Will reduce Oregon’s emissions through a well-designed market based carbon pricing program
- Aligns with state climate goals
- Maintains the viability and competitive health of existing Oregon businesses
- Anticipates pricing and regulation flexibility that will adjust over time as policy matures and climate goals are achieved
- Mitigates impacts on low-income communities, communities of color, and rural communities.
- Puts Oregon in a position to advance clean energy alternatives and contribute to worldwide efforts to decarbonize the global economy
- Encourages linkage to carbon markets in other jurisdictions
- Ensures a distribution of program proceeds that drives innovation and economic growth
Climate change presents a significant threat to our livelihoods, and carbon pricing is widely viewed as the most effective and efficient way to address it. The nature of the threat, together with federal inaction, demands that Oregon demonstrate timely policy leadership. The Alliance and its Board of Directors support moving forward with Cap and Trade legislation that meets these key principles in the 2018 Legislative Session. We firmly believe that now is the time to act and pass carbon pricing legislation.